Sunday, May 25, 2008

Death?

A few days before I am to attend a funeral of a 15 year old girl and there are many questions I would like answered. There is something shocking in the death of a young person, who has not had a chance to live out her life. A story with an infinite number of possibilities… cut short. We are right to be angry about death, and anger is an important part of our grieving process. And we are also right to be angry with God, to ask God why, why did she die? Why her?

God gives, and God takes away, but there are two stories to be told of death: as terrible and as homecoming; as our end or as the beginning of our true liberty.

There may be no answers to the questions we ask when facing matters such as death, but it is at times like this that I am so glad I know a God who loves and is ready to welcome this precious teen, a child he has now called to be his own.

7 comments:

Zoe said...

Im vry sry to hear about this 15 yr old girl...it's so sad when some1 my age dies.. just makes me think about life more i guess.. i'll be sure to keep her and her family in my prayers.
Gbu

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, your song has helped in consoling my 17 year old students, when a fellow student died in an accident.I can still remember the shock that reigned in our school when his death was announced.I guess there are no answers to the questions we ask on such occasions.It is only our faith in a loving God that sustains us during such hard moments, when words our superfluous. Pat

cappie said...

I have been a priest for 25 years and have done my fair share of funerals for young people. I still don't have any answers but here is a prayer I have used with families:

May God who blessed our ancestors, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Sarah Rebecca, Rachel and Leah, grant this family a full healing of body and spirit, abundant blessings from loved ones, and an awareness of God's presence with them in their pain. Shelter this spirit, O God, in the shadow of Your wings, for You, God of parents, God of children, God of us all, guard and shelter us. You are a gracious and loving God. Guard our coming and our going, grant us life and peace, now and always, for You are the Source of life and peace. May we as a holy community support and love our friends in times of pain as well as times of joy. And as we have wept together, so may we soon gather to rejoice. Amen.

Robert Galea said...

As usual Father,... a beautiful reflection!
Thanks for that!

cappie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
daughter of destiny said...

Im sorry for the loss.. Sometimes when someone's life is cut short we wonder why.. i believe these young people are here for a brief time to touch someone's heart and bring them closer to God. we dont know the plans He has for us and His thoughts are always with us.. my God continue to bless you..

Anonymous said...

Im sry for the loss =[
It's so sad when someone young dies.We dont know when our time is caming.When i hear this song it reminds me of my baby causine that died when she was just months old and i dedicate it to her.
GodBless There families and fill them with you blessings.
Cristina Tonna